Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow Accuse Harvey Weinstein of Sexually Harassment

Posted 2017/10/11 0 0

Paltrow and Jolie made their allegations in a New York Times article published Tuesday.

 

As Hollywood producer and movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is embroiled in sexual harassment allegations, a number of A-list actresses have recounted their own experiences of his predatory behaviour, among them now are Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow.

When Gwyneth Paltrow was 22 years old, she got a role that would take her from actress to star: The film producer Harvey Weinstein hired her for the lead in the Jane Austen adaptation “Emma.” Before shooting began, he summoned her to his suite at the Peninsula Beverly Hills hotel for a work meeting that began uneventfully. It ended with Mr. Weinstein placing his hands on her and suggesting they head to the bedroom for massages, she said.

“I was a kid, I was signed up, I was petrified,” she said in an interview, publicly disclosing that she was sexually harassed by the man who ignited her career and later helped her win an Academy Award.

She refused his advances, she said, and confided in Brad Pitt, her boyfriend at the time. Mr. Pitt confronted Mr. Weinstein, and soon after, the producer warned her not to tell anyone else about his come-on. “I thought he was going to fire me,” she said.

Angelina Jolie also added her voice to the allegations. Jolie told the New York Times that Weinstein made unwanted advances on her in a hotel room, in the late 1990's, which she rejected.

"I had a bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did," Jolie told the Times via email. "This behavior towards women in any field, any country is unacceptable."

These latest accusations follow an extensive report published last week revealing decades of sexual harassment claims levelled at the producer, who has since been fired from The Weinstein Company, the business he co-founded. His wife, entrepreneur Georgina Chapman, has also announced she will be ending their relationship. “My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions,” said Chapman.  “I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority.” The couple have been married for 10 years, and have two children together.

Comments